England Clock (current time for us)

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Unexpected differences

We expected England to be a lot different from home, obviously, but one thing that I'm having trouble getting used to is the outlets. Not that the prongs are different, that I expected. Not that the voltage is different, that I expected as well. The pictures are from our kitchen in our TLF, they have both American and English outlets, both voltages.



At least everywhere on base, we'll see if it's the same off base eventually, every outlet has it's own on/off switch. OK, big deal, right? Well, I've plugged in my laptop only to have it give me the 2 minute battery warning 40 minutes into a session... and I'm thinking, but it's plugged in!! It has taken some getting used to. The power strip my curling iron is plugged into won't seem to turn on ~ it's the outlet switch that's not on.


Oh, and in the picture above, both outlets are off. So what looks like "on" to me as an American, is actually "off". At least I'm figuring it out. :)


Here's another difference:

This happened at the Subway on base ~ Midway through making my sandwich, the maker said "Salad, please?" I'm like, Um, no, I ordered a sandwich, which you're making right now... LOL If I had never been to Subway before I'd have had no idea that this is British for "What vegetables would you like on your sandwich?" Fortunately, I have been to Subway, so when he said "Salad, please?" I replied, "Everything except onions and peppers." Yay, disaster averted. :)

7 comments:

  1. Love hearing about your adventures. Keep them coming.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on pulling of the Subway trip. Weird about the electrical. Is this for safety reasons?

    Can't wait to read about Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently it is for safety reasons... and for energy use reduction secondarily ~ that's what everyone seems to assume anyway, I don't know if anyone I've mentioned it to is actually informed about it, that my be just what they think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The on/off switch is pretty common throughout Europe. It is to conserve energy. Don't think you'll find the dual voltage/plugs off base though...sorry!! Hope you're enjoying it all, even though we all speak English, believe me I learned the hard way that is certainly isn't the same language LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. We weren't even expecting the American outlets in the lodging on base, but it IS handy. :) I know you've already been through the language hurdles that I'm just beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you avoided disaster! Weird about the outlets. Hope you get used to their languge. Great adventure so far.

    Summer

    ReplyDelete