England Clock (current time for us)

Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Commissary Walk

Our TLF is maybe a mile from the Commissary (grocery) on base, which doesn't seem too far to walk. However, it is closed on Sunday and Monday, so on the past two Saturdays I've realized that I need to purchase any food or house items to last us until Tuesday on Saturday. I try to choose light items, but yesterday totally failed.

Scott was home with the girls ~ we didn't need to make them walk over, shop and walk back with us ~ so I was on my own. With 3 dinners and extra stuff for breakfasts and lunches, plus tomatoes to chop for the class lunch on Monday and 4 bags of Halloween candy in my backpack and in two bags in my hands, I made my way home. Miserable!

Our sponsors keep saying they'll drive us places, but they live 15 min away and I didn't want to bug them on a Saturday. I'll have to learn to shop every other day and buy an extra dinner each day or something so I don't end up doing it all in one day, at least until I have a car.

Having to skip a bottle of wine in favor of milk is the suck!! Luckily the "Class 6" (where the booze is sold, at the gas station) is open on Sundays. We plan to stop by today on the way home from the bowling alley.

Oh, one other odd military thing... we have a ration card for the booze. Any hard alcohol has to be marked off on the ration card, and we have to have it with us to buy. Funny though, they just told us when we filled a card to come get a new one... doesn't seem much like rationing. Scott thinks it's because it's so much cheaper to buy booze on base, people might sell it on the economy if it wasn't monitored in some way. Still, it's weird. :)

So after almost killing myself for groceries yesterday, we're off to the bowling alley to bowl and buy lunch.

Then to the "Class 6" of course. :)

3 comments:

  1. Aren't the girls old enough to drink wine in Europe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great solution!! Ha! Actually, I think it might not be so great on cereal, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you had fun at the bowling alley, and lunch. Wish i could talk to u.
    summer

    ReplyDelete