England Clock (current time for us)

Saturday, March 5, 2011

London 2 - The Prime Meridian!

Our second day of our January London trip was focused on finally getting over to Greenwich and seeing the Prime Meridian.  


But first, breakfast in bed.  

Cambria was thrilled.  I think it was one of her favorite parts of the trip. :)  


This was our breakfast tray.  I thought it was carb loaded with no protein, and we didn't have a table to eat it on, but Cambria was so thrilled with breakfast in bed I didn't complain.  :) 


We took the underground to Embankment and hit the Starbucks.  The kids like Costa ok, but Starbucks tastes like home.  :) 

Chocolate Creme, yum.  

 Scott's wondering why I'm taking pictures of the kids with their drinks.  So I took his too. He thinks I'm silly, but he loves me. :) 


Big Ben.  Parliament. 


Riding under the Tower Bridge on the ferry to Greenwich 

Tower Bridge 


It was a long hike up the hill, but we made it from the ferry to the Observatory.



This big metal thing was over the Planetarium.  The Astronomer didn't really explain it, but it does block all cell phone service to the planetarium underneath.  We saw a planetarium show about the current night sky.  It was cool.  The astronomer was Scottish, so even better.  :) 


We're taking the Meridian route.  :)  


This is why I'm always surprised when people can't spell Meridian's name.  It's a real word, and kind of a big deal.  :) 



I didn't really figure out the clock.  But look, we're all here! 


Standing on the Prime Meridian.  I think Meridian is in the Western hemisphere and Cambria is in the Eastern. 

Honestly, there was a long queue to get a photo on the line (Brits numbering more than 2 automatically queue - it's awesome, in my opinion), and there were a bunch of foreign tourists who don't understand queues, which caused some trouble.  When you've waited 20 minutes and people just walk up and get in your picture... let's say, tempers can flare.  No bueno.    

We got through it, and the people behind us even thought our quick video singing happy birthday to Uncle Eric was cool.  So it's all good.  


All of us on the line.   


 Cambria and Meridian on the line, facing the other way.  The line goes through the building.  Cool. 





The O2 - London's big event stadium - we could see it in the distance from the Observatory hill.



We stopped by a bakery in Greenwich and picked up some treats for the ferry ride back to London.   I forgot to take pictures of the desserts until it was too late. 

My lemon tart was fantastic! 


We found Scotland Yard.  Cool. 


Some hooligans on the street - right in front of the Yard! 

This reminds me to mention that yesterday we missed The Old Bailey.  It's just steps from St. Paul's, but in the other direction from the Millennium Bridge.  Drat.  We also missed walking down Cheapside in the same neighborhood.  Darn, we'll have to plan another trip.  :) 


So we've been told about The Texas Embassy - it's Tex-Mex, and right next to Trafalgar Square.  But every time we go by, we're not hungry!  I wanted to get at least some nachos and a margarita, but my family was ready to go home.  They let me take their picture at least.  Next time, maybe.  :) 


4 comments:

  1. These a fabulous....thank you so much for taking me where I know I will never be able to go!
    This is awesome...=)
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! More food pictures please. I wanted tos see that lemon tart. You guys look great and the girls look like they are having fun. We need more pitures of you and Scott. Meridian is def old enough to have a camera. :)~Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait til I blog Greece - plenty of food pics there! LOL Meridian does have a camera, but until September it was film and I'm without a scanner... now it's digital and I haven't downloaded her pics. Duly noted though. :)

    ReplyDelete