England Clock (current time for us)

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A car, finally

So I'm a bit behind in my blogs... we got the car before Thanksgiving, (after a month without one). These pictures are from November 23rd. It's a used Renault Laguna we found over at RAF Lakenheath.
It's been an odd experience learning to drive here.  Scott and I are both constantly reminding ourselves to stay on the left as we make turns onto other roads.  It's easy to forget and end up on the wrong side if you get too complacent. 

Drivers here drive really, really fast.  I was in a 60 zone and being passed (overtaken, lol) quickly by many cars, so I checked my speedometer - I was going 75!



Many drivers here are polite though, they pause at a roundabout to give you time to jump in, or stop to let you turn right in front of them - it still surprises me when it happens, I need to learn to take advantage of the opportunity faster so they don't have to wait for me! 
Another thing about driving here - when the conditions get sketchy, like heavy rain or fog or whatever, people *actually* slow down.  That part is excellent! 


Meridian's pointing out our funny license plate or "number plate", on the right.  :)   These pictures were taken in front of our TLF (Temporary Living Facility) as we were living there when we got the car. 
So we're both doing a lot better at driving now, but I keep my Rescue Remedy drops in the car just in case, since I was nauseous with stress the first time I drove here in a hard rain.  I've since learned that you you pull over and wait for a bit, it will often let up within 20-30 minutes.  :)

2 comments:

  1. One thing to remember about driving on the opposite side of the road, the driver is ALWAYS in the center of the road! That always helps me to remember which side whatever country I'm in! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good tip! That's part of why we didn't ship a car, though many Americans do... it's too confusing that way!

    ReplyDelete